Thursday, October 2, 2008

Regrets

Good morning all! I won't be at the meeting either. We are in the middle of another home renovation and I've got three deliveries today (stones, gravel and sod) that I must be here for.

Dianne is in Heaven when she's doing one of these projects. Thank goodness I'm still working. (I've told some of you before that I measure my success by whether or not I'm making more money than Dianne can spend. Right now it's KLS Specialty Products d/b/a Lehman Bros.)

I've been preoccupied with the Vanderbilt reunion which is just three weeks away. Once that's behind me, I can help with our big event! Actually, helping is a misnomer because so much has already been done by the same very capable people who were leading our class 50 years ago.

One way I can help is to send a contribution. So, Susie, please give me the address I need to send the check to. Warmest regards to all y'all.

Kent

In a message dated 10/1/2008 10:10:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jeh17@comcast.net writes:
Anne, I am sorry to have to tell you that I will not be able to make the reunion committee meeting tomorrow evening. As you know, we have been talking about it for a while, and how much I was looking forward to it.

I missed the last one, that I had also planned to attend, because of a stroke that one of my managers had in one of our companies. I did attend the one before that, and enjoyed it so much. Not only did business get accomplished, but the chance for me to get together with a lot of class mates was just so enjoyable for me.

I have many fond memories of my three years at City, and of many of my class mates. Those of you who live in Chattanooga just don't realize how fortunate you are in the fact that you get to see each other on some what of a regular basis. Those of us who don't live there really do appreciate it when we get to participate.

The reason I won't be there is because of the current gasoline shortage in Atlanta. I have less than a quarter of a tank of gas in my car. The news down here has been saying for a week now that this would get better soon. Well, just the opposite has happened. I tried for well over an hour this evening to get gas, and none of the 5 gas stations I went to had any gas. And when I asked when did they think they would get some, none knew. Their guess was any time from tomorrow to maybe 2 or 3 days from now.

I talked to mom today up on Signal Mtn. and she told me her cleaning lady did not come to clean her house today because she went to 5 different gas stations in Chattanooga, and none of them had any gas.

I am disappointed, as I was looking forward to being there, and to seeing a lot of you. In fact I specifically communicated with George Derryberry, Delmar Lee Reynolds, Lloyd Stanley, Ann & Lew Waddey, and Kent Shalibo to tell them I was coming and that I hoped to see them there. So that is the reason I am placing all of them on the cc of this email to you, to be able to let them know my situation.

My mom is disappointed I will not be in Chattanooga tomorrow as she always enjoys seeing me, and of course I like to visit with her as often as possible, as she is 89.

I was planning on leaving either late Thursday evening after the meeting, or else very early Friday morning, as I have a very important financial meeting in Atlanta that I have to attend Friday. It has been set for months, and affects a number of people, and I have an obligation to them and thus there is no way I could miss it.

Anne, I will miss seeing you and all the others. I really do appreciate all that you and all the other committee members do, and really feel so bad to be letting you down. But the circumstances are beyond my control. Please continue to keep me in the loop as you have been doing.

All my best,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment