Wednesday, September 2, 2009

More About J. D. Barton

I, Louella Cherry Spencer, asked J. D. to tell us more about the last 50 years of his life.  Here is his response.

I was in the band(s), orchestra and participated in other music "stuff". I remember the Pajama Game....I was the goofy guy who called for "Poopsie" at Hernando's Hideaway. After graduation, I joined the air force. I went to basic training, then to a 9 month Intensive Russian language school on Long Island. After that, and a 3 month school in W. Texas to learn how to operate radios, I was sent to Germany (Bremerhaven, near the North sea).

There I met a daughter of an army man stationed there.....and to cut to the chase - we were married 3 months later. After 47 years, she is still putting up with me. (After Bremerhaven, I shuttled back and forth from Germany to Texas, with a one year side trip to a 2 mile by 4 mile island in the Aleutians (Shemya).

I retired from the military in 79, and because she is from Ft Worth, that is where we settled. I was pretty sure I would not be needing Russian language in Texas (or at least HOPING!), so after working with it for 20 years - time for a change.

I started looking for a job, and found a good inside sales job at a high quality sheet rubber manufacturer in Ft Worth. I have been at the same job for 30 years next month (yes, still working - and as long as I am healthy, why not!)

My wife and I had two kids, a daughter now 46, living in Hollywood, and appearing occasionally in TV shows or TV movies. She also teaches drama at a middle school in the Los Angeles area. Her husband is also an actor, and works with the Muppets, along with regional theater and a group that produces "Puppet Up" now and then on TV.

Our son is also teaching, at Arlington, TX, about 20 miles from us. He and his wife have one son, 12, so we only have the one grandchild.

You asked for a "blurb".......so this one will obviously have to be chopped down a bit. My blurbs are often lengthy "blobs". Sorry.

As for the 70th birthday party.....no promises. I do not get back to Tennessee very often. I have one sister living there (Louise Barton Welch, CHS class of 57), and I do go to visit her now and then. Since my birthday is at the end of December (41), I am probably one of the youngest in the class, although my white hair does not indicate that. (I don't care what color it turns, as long as it doesn't turn loose.....guess I'm safe there.) So, whenever the 70th birthday party is, it might be a wee bit early for me.

Thanks for the email...and I sure am glad you put your name in the heading.....I delete emails so often if I do not recognize the names.

No guarantees that I will be "active" on Facebook. I have a FB ID, but I RARELY go there.

Thanks again, and glad you took the time to write.

JD...Jay....Whatever

jaybarton04@wmconnect.com

Jay Barton
1000 Georgian Rd E
Saginaw TX 76179

1 comment:

Anne said...

Jay, thanks for coming to the supper meeting I enjoyed visiting with you.Tim Arnold told me when I saw him at the UTC football game that he tried to come to that meeting to see you.Since you were the only guy there I hope you enjoyed all the female attention! We had a good time.
Anne Johnson

Post a Comment