Thursday, September 24, 2009

Personal from Louella

Hello,
I sent a message to some friends about my trip to The Cove and got a message back from Dru asking if I wanted it on the blog.  After I thought about it, I told her that some friends I did not include might like an update on Billy Graham, Cliff Barrows and Bev Shea.  Then I sent her a note and told her I would put it on.  So here it is:
 
Hi,
I just wanted to share with you about a trip I just took with my husband, Bill, to The Billy Graham Conference Center at The Cove in Ashville, NC.
 
We left on Sunday and drove to Knoxville where we spent the night.  A high school classmate of mine, Margaret Sims Trainer, and her husband, Fred, picked us up and took us to their lovely home for an appetizer and then to eat at a restaurant that was a good choice.  We had a great visit.
 
Monday we drove to Ashville and checked into the motel where we hooked up with my brother, Don, and his wife, Peggy.  We did not stay on the grounds at The Cove as we were saving a little money and the motel was just across the road from the entrance to The Cove.  Staying there worked out fine.  In the afternoon, we registered and chose the workshop we wanted.  The main building is large with decks with rocking chairs and views of the mountains.  Inside there is a room with a huge fireplace and seating.  To one side is a very large dining room, and on the other side is an auditorium with seating for about 475, I would guess, as I think there were about 450 of us in attendance for the Senior Conference with Cliff Barrows and friends.  They provide coffee, soft drinks, and ice cream at all times.  The food was delicious and plenteous.
 
Some of the highlights were:
 
Hearing Stuart Briscoe speak
Hearing Jill Briscoe speak
Hearing Will Graham, Billy's grandson, speak (Will said his grandfather, almost 91, is missing his wife and this makes him lonely.  Will said his grandfather just wishes he could preach one more time.) 
 
Listening to music by Buddy Greene - co-wrote the song, "Mary Did You Know?"
Listening to music by Jeff Taylor
Listening to music by John Innes
 
But, the thing that moved me the most was listening to Cliff Barrows, age 86, and George Beverly Shea, age almost 101, sing together and to sing with them.  I was thinking about how these men spent their lives singing Christian music and now they are so close to heaven and they are still trying to help others.  I wondered sitting there if I was as close to heaven as I am going to get on this earth.
 
Then, when we were leaving yesterday we went on a tour of the chapel.  Upstairs there was a prayer room.  On the wall was a verse from the Bible about not being anxious for anything.  Lift all cares to God.  I thought about how I worry about this world when I listen to the news.  I also thought, as I read the verse from the Bible that was printed on the wall, about how I should be joyful and know that God is in control and He will carry our burdens.
 
I enjoyed the trip so much I just wanted to share it with you.  Thanks for listening.
 
Hug,
Louella

No comments:

Post a Comment