Saturday, October 2, 2010

Message from Mac (Thomas) Funderburk

Hi Dru,

I remember you well and of course your Mom, and the Party Line on radio and TV. I think you and I were together at Northside also, is that right? Well it is great to hear you are still alive and kicking. 



I am afraid I have never been to a City reunion since I left Chattanooga in 59 and moved to NC to go to Wake Forest where I graduated with a BA in Psychology in 63 and later to UNC-CH where I got a Masters in Social Work in 67. 

Since then I have been in service to mankind in public and private mental health and family counseling. I started and was area director of a 3 county community mental health program from 69 to 81 and then served as CEO of 4 private psychiatric hospitals until 93 when due to my father's illness, I moved to Statesville and was executive director of a small united way counseling center for 10 years when I retired the first time But then I began a private practice as a clinical social worker and family therapist for 4 years and then retired the second time. 

I am married and we have a wonderful daughter who has blessed us with 2 marvelous grandchildren and every Tuesday we drive 50 miles to spend time with our daughter and her family. The kids call it Papa and Mawmaw day. 

I remain active in Rotary, a past president and Paul Harris Fellow, and also active in my church, singing in the choir, something I have done since age 4 at Signal Mtn Baptist Church, and serve on the shut-ins commitee and have 3 guys I visit each month or more often if they need me. 

My health has sent me some warning signs, I have had diabetes for over 10 years and just got out of the hospital yesterday where I was treated for pneumonia 3 days. So I had better go get back in bed and rest, my wife tells me. 


Great to hear from you and I hope we can cross paths again in the future.


Mac Funderburk


Known to most of you at City as Thomas, I will tell you the little story of Thomas sometime in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment