Monday, October 11, 2010

A Salute to All Our Classmates

Hi Fifty-Niners,

I'd like to share a neat thing: my wife, Christine, loves you guys. She loves our whole Class of '59. She had as much enjoyment and fun at our 50th as anybody. She has said to me many times, "Your classmates are close. Your classmates care about each other. They're nice and they treat each other with kindness and affection. My class at Alcoa (1966) was not like that. They were mean to each other and still are. I love to go to your class reunions - I wouldn't set foot in one of mine."

With the current nationally publicized spate of high school and college meanness and bullying, and its appallingly tragic results, I am coming to realize that my wife really hit on something. While it's true, I think, that powerful Colonel Bates and equally strong Katherine Pryor wouldn't have permitted any such goings-on in the first place, I realize all the same that our classmates are and always have been, on their own, really nice people.

I'm not aware that any of the current kind of thing ever occurred with us, nor would it have even been thought of. We were not that kind of people.

So I want to thank everybody in our class for being the good people that they are and always have been. Chattanooga High School was a good place to be when we were students growing up there, and while I can't help but think that it probably still is, I know it was so with our Class of '59 folks.

So all my classmates, I'm letting you know that I appreciate you and love 'ya all - all 444 of you - and may we all be healthy, happy, and continue to enjoy each others' compnay as we did then and still do now.

Best to all with genuine appreciation,

Delmar Lee Reynolds

Lee Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment