Monday, July 11, 2011

CHS '59er veterans: They also serve who only stand and sing!

From: marti brown ("Lt. Col." Marti Brown or the GS 15 civilian equivalent)
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 5:19 PM


From 1965 to 1968, I was an entertainer for the USO out of NYC.  When you do USO Shows (at least back then) you go on orders from the military and start out with the rank and privileges of a second lieutant, only with a civilian GS rating.  I made so many trips overseas, that the last one I made I was a civilian GS 15, which I understand is equivilent to a full bird colonel (I used to love to get on those Military Airlift Command contract flights and have the protocol officer cater to me, much to the dismay of captains, majors and lieutenant colonels!!) LOL


Anyway, as you know, there are troops stationed all over the world who need to be entertained. My first assignment was the Alaskan Command where I had to go to Survival School and learn how to jump out of airplanes and make tents out of parachutes, among other things. Thank goodness I never actually had to do that. We flew around in a Gooney Bird (C-47) for three months, playing every little base we could find protecting the U.S.  from Russian missiles, etc. I still have a certificate for "flying in USAF aircraft #222 in the Arctic Circle and becoming a Fraternal Member of the Arctic Empire."


The next assignment was the Caribbean Command ... from the Panama Canal Zone to Cuba where I happened to be when Castro cut the water lines to Guantanamo Bay. It was a great adventure and although not a war zone, more bases than you could shake a stick at and many shows. I was almost kidnapped in the Dominican Republic, but that's another whole story.


Next came the Asian Command. We would start in Korea then go to Japan, Okinawa, Taiwan, Philipines, Thailand and Vietnam, Guam, and Hawaii.  I thrived on entertaining these wonderful guys and gals who meant so much to me and my country. Words cannot express the heartfelt pleasure and what it meant to me to do these shows. We would fly up and down this circuit entertaining the troops wherever needed. The second Asian trip was the hospital circuit where we were allowed one hour in each ward.   Started out doing a 40-minute show and visiting 20-minutes which soon changed to a 20-minute show and visiting 40-minutes. I would return home loaded with phone numbers to call and letters to send, etc.


(I returned to the Far East with a private booking company and played the military club circuit and lived on the economy (as opposed to USO shows) where we lived on base or in the sergeant major's tent in the jungle.  Did that circuit for almost a year with basically the same itinerary as the USO shows. In 1968, a couple of days before Tet Offensive, it was time for me to go. There was one seat on a flight to Hong Kong and I took it. So many memories and so many wonderful people. Hopefully I did some good. I think so.


I could go on forever, as I have also done shows at military bases in Iceland, Greenland, Labrador, Germany, Spain, Italy and Turkey. My utmost respect goes to all who have served. Thanks for letting me ramble ... maybe I should write a book.


Love, 


Marti Brown


Talk about it:  CHS '59ers Facebook Page




for the service our many other CHS '59er veterans click here  

1 comment:

Tom Wilson said...

Marti's story is absolutely fascinating. I'm jealous of all her exotic adventures and admire her commitment to entertaining our troops.

Post a Comment