Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lee Reynolds: Introduction to Col. Bates

Col. Creed Bates

Delmar (Lee) Reynolds

I expect that all of us have certain incidents from C.H.S which stick in our minds. Here is one which has come back to me a few times: The following occurred in late September, 1957. I was at C.H.S. on a Saturday, doing something with the Bulldogs. I was wearing my dog collar. Col. Bates approached me with, "Ah, here's a Bulldog. Come over here. I've got something for you to do. I've got a package at T.H.Paynes. Take my car and go get it for me." He handed me the keys to his car, a shiny, all-black 2-door post 3-speed on the column '56 (55?) Chevrolet, a beautiful car. Col. Bates' car.
I was not yet 16, did not have a license, and had driven our family 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook 3-speed on the column exactly once in my life, about 6 minutes on a deserted road, never in traffic. I had only a vague idea of where T.H.Paynes was.
All the same, I took the keys, started the Col's immaculate car, drove downtown, found T.H.Paynes, got without incident into a parking space, and inside I went. A rather attractive black-haired salesgirl - but OMG, she was at least 20 years old - approached me and said, "Mr. Creed Bates called and said that a young scamp wearing a dog collar was coming to pick up his package. Are you the scamp?" "The rumor is true," I replied. "Why are you wearing a dog collar?" "I stay in the doghouse a lot." "Ha ha, very funny. Do you eat dog food? she asked, teasingly. "Certainly." "What kind?" she asked, as she got the Col.'s package. "Rival when I can get it, Raulston Purina when forced." "Ha ha. Do you have a girlfriend?" "Well, no. Not at the moment." "Would you like one?" "Sure," I replied, not at all sure where all this was leading. Again, black hair was every bit of 20 years old. "Well, take off that silly collar, Mr. Scamp, and maybe I'll let you come back and talk to me." Black hair handed me the Col's package. I headed out, managed to get back to C.H.S. without incident, and handed Col. Bates' package and car keys to him. I was relieved that the Col's car was still immaculate. The Col. smiled and took the package and keys. I turned to go, and WHAP!!! The Col. back-slapped me hard with one of his patented back-slaps, and down I sent, faceforward into the dirt. I had never heard nor had any idea that he did that. I slowly picked myself up. After Col. Bates drove off, Bulldog Tommy Williams, Class of '57, said, in a low voice, "You've got to watch him. He does that sometimes. Nobody knows why. Otherwise he's a good man. "
That was my introduction to Col. Bates. He made a lasting impression. I recognize that this little account is no big deal, but all the same, on rare occasions I go to Antique car shows and if I see an all-black '55 or '56 Chevy, it all comes back. And just for a micro second, I almost find myself glancing around to make sure no other big, strong hand is descending on my unwary back to renew that lasting impression. I can't imagine what he would have done if I'd hurt his car.
I'm sure that many other classmates have incidents from C.H.S that they remember. Maybe some of our other folks would like to share them on the blog. Just a thought.
Best to all, 
Delmar 
Lee Reynolds confederatesub@yahoo.com www.leeworks.addr.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story!
Elaine P. Smart

Post a Comment