Sunday, March 15, 2009

Catching up: Margaret Sims Trainer

I graduated from Tennessee Tech with a degree in education and taught in the Hamilton County School system for 5 years, during which time I met and married Fred Trainer and we started a family.

Ann Margaret was born in '68 and Frederick, Jr. in '70. Both are married. Ann's family lives in Savannah, GA, and Fred, Jr. lives here in Knoxville. We have 3 grandchildren and hoping for 4.

We moved to Knoxville, TN in '72, so after 37 years, we've settled in and can't imagine living any other place. It took a few years getting use to these Big Orange crazies, since our family are all Georgia Tech fans.

Both Fred, Sr. and Fred, Jr. have undergraduate degrees from Tech, but Ann and Fred, Jr.(masters in business) have degrees from UT, as well, so we're covered! After moving to Knoxville, even I attended UT a few times to keep my teaching credentials updated.

When our children were 12 and 14, I went to work for Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church, a very large church, where we're now members. I retired after 18 years. My responsibilities varied through the years from receptionist, to secretary of the senior pastor, and the last 6 years I was the office manager.

Fred and I are very active in church. My area of responsibility rests mainly in teaching children's Sunday School, grades 4, 5 and 6, for about 30 years. My teaching degree has NOT been wasted! We do a variety of volunteer jobs, mainly through the church, which provides ample opportunities for ministry.

Fred and I enjoy entertaining and frequently have small groups in for dinner. I love to read mysteries and historical fiction - nothing too heavy. Since retiring in 2000, I've taken up scrapbooking, concentrating on grandchildren and trips we've taken.

In the past few years I've developed a love for flower arranging (nothing too fancy), which comes in handy when entertaining.I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in May.

Margaret Sims Trainer
mtrainer@knology.net

No comments:

Post a Comment