Monday, September 22, 2008

Rick Mitchell says Hi

Hello Classmates...
I've enjoyed reading the blog, catching up on the lives of many of you, and seeing you at the reunion. Here is my story:

After our graduation, I went to Ga Tech, and got a degree in mechanical engineering; wasn't sure that was what I wanted to do (after 4 years, seems like I could have decided earlier and avoided a lot of pain!!). Anyway, as long as I was at Tech, I decided to a Master's degree (No, not Mech Engr, but Industrial Management.)

I married Angela Glover, a young lady from Florida who went to UC. We've been married 44 years (truly a sainted lady). We have two children -- a son Richard who lives in Nashville with his wife and son (8 years); and a daughter who will marry in December and live in Knoxville with her husband and stepson (5 years).

I joined IBM after Ga Tech and was with them in Atlanta for 30 years as a systems engineer. (Retired in 1996). I was, also, commissioned as an officer in the US Army, and stationed at Ft MacPherson with 3rd Army HQ in Atlanta. Wanting to include me in all aspecpts of service life, they invited me to join them for a full year in VietNam in 1968. I was at Long Binh (long, but interesting year). Much to Angela's chagrin, I decided to remain in the Reserves for 26 more years. Ou unit did get called up for Desert Shield in 1993 (?) but just for a month in Houston. When I retired in ''94, it was truly a "Rolaids" moment for Angela.

In retirement...well we live in Vinings in Atlanta, and there are lots of oak trees. They keep falling so I cut and split them up. We spend a little time at our exercise/social club. Angela teaches aerobic swimming (and she trains as a triathlete --she's won 3 events (in her age group) this year. I'm quite proud of her. We're also quite active in our church...Angle in the women's ministry, Rick in the children's ministry and as a bible study leader.

I stay in touch with John Hayes (he's a Tech graduate -- in fact, Student Body president our senior year) he cheers the Yellow Jackets on with me (whern we have something to cheer about -- maybe this year!!). I see Kent Shalibo when he can make it to Atlanta (less and less often)...and, again I look forward to seeing many of you at the reunion.

Rick Mitchell
,

No comments:

Post a Comment