Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Linda Chambers scouts out our CHS

From: landrchambers@comcast.net
To: anne-johnson@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Pictures of CSAS (CHS)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:10:23 +0000

I could not find the clock! I am sending pictures of the wooden lockers which have been refinished and some have plaques with names on them (memorials and donations). All of the original old wooden doors are still there. When Erlanger Nursing School used the building, they painted the lockers and then Riverside High did who knows what to them. They look nice now though. The metal lockers are all still there also.

I took a picture of the plaque in the front foyer with the info about the original building and a picture of Colonel Bates.

The auditorium seems to have the same seats and some of them are still broken. They have made an outer lobby area that looks really nice. The school still smells the same. The old bookstore is still in place with the window. I suppose they still use it the same way although it was not open. I had forgotten all about it.

They have some really neat things going on now that we missed out on. They are still doing the musicals on the stage and have one coming up in April. I sent a picture of a window where they actually do math problems on the glass. This was in the middle school. The canopy over the walk to the gym is gone and picnic tables are along the way. The cafeteria brought back memories of each club having their own tables and groups. I also remembered eating potato chips, potato salad and milk every day at lunch. "Very nutritious." This saved time because it could be bought in the back of the cafeteria without going through the long line.

The bottom floor is the lower school of K-5, the second floor or entrance is the middle school floor and the third floor is grades 9-12. The fourth floor has been condemned. The old library is still there but there is another one for the lower grades. I believe it is where the home economics classes were.
The gym still looks basically the same except the bleachers have been replaced with the folding plastic ones. I believe they were wooden when we were there. The gym was quite new when we were there since it was built in 1955.

I sent a picture of the molded stairs they went to the cafeteria. I had forgotten about them. I also remembered the one-way stairs. It is interesting that the football field was built the year I was born and most of our class.

Sorry this took so long but I waited until Spring Break so that I could have access without so many students being in the hallways. I have the disc ready to mail tomorrow. Hopefully, you will get it by Friday. Let me know what you think. Apparently I sent this from Richard's e-mail address and I don't check it very often. Please use linda_chambers@comcast.net.

Yes, I did get the info about Wayne Clough. I was impressed that he had been President at Georgia Tech but this is even more so. I'm not sure I remember him though. I did look him up in the annual and he seemed a little familiar.

(Linda Rogers Chambers)


__________________________________________

Linda (Rogers Chambers),

I am so happy to hear from you. I've been wondering what was going on with you. Did you hear that a classmate of our Wayne Clough has been named to be the head of the Smithsonian?

I have a history of the school and the center part was built in 1922 and named Wyatt Hall. The two wings were added in 1935. The football field was completed in 1941 and the gym in 1955. So. . the building is old but lives in our memories. Do they still have lockers?

This will be very interesting to see. Did you have any special memories as you walked around? Is the clock still there?

I am copying Dru Fuller so she's be expecting something from us soon.

Thanks, Anne

From: landrchambers@comcast.net

Anne Johnson

I have a CD of some pictures I took at the school. I am going to mail it to you because there are a lot of pictures that you can choose from (or not). You will also have a hard copy at hand if you need it. I know there is a list of addresses somewhere but I can't find it. Please send me your's so I can get this in the mail.

The school is pretty dark and older than I remembered (ha). They are doing a lot of work in anticipation of a critique from a magnet school committee next month so the auditorium wasn't in good shape and is darker than any.

The football field is now a soccer field and some of the classrooms are for tiny kindergarteners.

It was very interesting. I guess the least change was in the cafeteria but there is a television and lots of vending machines. There are even vending machines in the high school area of the school.

This was fun and I got lots of exercise.

Linda (Rogers Chambers)

No comments:

Post a Comment