Friday, November 20, 2009

Bob Stott served in the Navy

I joined the U.S. Navy Reserve in Nov. 1958 during our senior year. We graduated,I think, on May 29th, 1959 and on June 9th I reported to Great Lakes Naval Station for boot camp. After boot camp I served two years on the USS Windlass (ARSD-4), a rescue, salvage and diving ship. We were home ported in Norfolk, Va. but were out of the country for all but two months during that time. I served in the active reserve until 1964 and was discharged. Elsa and I just returned from a trip to Hawaii and on Nov. 10th we visited the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. We were reminded again of the ultimate sacrifice that so many people have made to preserve our freedoms. We do owe a debt of gratitude to all of our service men and women past and present. I have never regretted the time I spent in active service and reserves.

Bob Stott

No comments:

Post a Comment