Saturday, November 21, 2009

Brian Moore lauds his spouses defense contractor service to the military

Dru,

This is the remainder of what I started to write before I was attacked by my 'puter (the darn thing sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own - well, I guess one of us has to). As I think of what I'm sharing, I feel as if I'm in one of my favorite movies "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" with Johnny Depp and Benecio del Toro.

As I started to write before I was so rudely interrupted, here's the rest of the update on my non-military service. On my 18th birthday, among many other surprising gifts was notification that I was considered 1A, and so classified, by the Selective Service Commission. While I was delighted that they thought so "highly" of me, on the birth of my daughter two years later, they down-graded me to "only" 3A and that was absolutely the last communication with them I ever had. They had obviously become much more Selective.

Beginning in 2006, Linda, my first, but not current wife, after retirement as the head of Dupont's Employee Assistance Program in Fayetteville, NC, became employed by Mental Health Networks. They sub-contract to the Department of Defense in providing mental health professionals for availability worldwide to returning active-duty service personnel and their dependent families

As Sandy, my last and current wife's former boss and mentor, Linda suggested to Sandy that she might also find serving with Mental Health Networks equally rewarding. Consequently, Sandy concluded her first 45-day rotation at Ft. Hood, TX this spring, another 45 day rotation at Scofield Barracks, Hawaii, this fall and is preparing to start a 90-day rotation at Ft Lewis, Washington at the end of this month.

While not chosen personally to serve in the Armed Services, I extremely proud for the opportunity that's been given our family to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment