Friday, May 27, 2011

70th bash

Hi Dru,

I can't believe that a week from today I will traveling to Chattanooga and will be seeing classmates that I have not seen in 52 years. WOW! I know that I will not recognize anyone nor will they recognize me so this will be fun seeing people who are so different from what we were like in the day so to speak. I was a skinny red haired boy with a flat top and now I surpass 200 lbs and am bald and have been most of my life. I am going to try to attach a pic of me currently so when I show up you might know who I am. 

My wife, Evelyn, and I will drive over on Friday hopefully arriving in the afternoon around 3PM and are staying at the Chattanoogan both Friday and Satureday nights. We plan to attend the "warm up" hosted by Bill and David. We have plans to have dinner with Kent and Dianne Shalibo and other friends that night. Kent lived just 3 doors down from me on Signal Mountain and we grew up together.  He and George Derryberry and I were like the three musketeers doing everything together as we grew up on the mountain.

I have only seen one of my class mates since graduation. Thanks to your blog I have e-mailed with quite a few people. One person was Jeanne Mabry who was my ROTC sponsor. I am sorry that she will not be attending. She sent me a journal that she wrote back when she and her husband rode out Katrina. It was both frightening and fascinating as she documented each day's events. She hasn't changed that much. Still wears her hair short like she did when we were in school together. The one class mate that I have see was Dottie Eldridge. She e-mailed me and after several weeks we met for lunch in Black Mountain and had a wonderful time remembering all the things we did together in the band back then. She lives in Hendersonville and I live in Statesville and Black Mountain was a good central spot to have lunch together. I watch the pictures Bud provided of the band playing and listened to it intently. What memories that brought back.

Well as you can tell I am very excited about us all getting together and it is only a week away. I hope the weather will be good. My wife and I enjoy traveling in our toy that we have had about 10 years, a 99 black Corvette convertible. So if you see it you will know it is me. Of course it is always a hat for me when the top is down, my bald head doesn't like the sun like it use to. LOL! 

So see you on Friday Dru.


PS: Given the chance I will be happy to tell the story of how I got all those names. And that isn't all of them. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment