Monday, June 27, 2011

CHS '59ers for June 27



CHS '59ers:  Get on Track!
                                                                          

June 27, 2011 

Featured thoughts 

June 27th, 2011 

My sweet Danny Boy! How I loved you! We had such a fun marriage and so many wonderful memories of the different places we saw together. The best part of our marriage was that I knew how much you loved me and you knew how much I loved you. That is what I hold in my heart and what will keep me strong. I will miss you honey. Forever my love, Carolyn


Robert Richey
June 25th, 2011
 
Danny was the leader of our pack in the Army Reserves, you could count on him for our gang to have our own personal jeep at summer camp. He had it all planned to where we would volunteer on the first day of camp for some detail that would take us about two days to complete. Once we completed that task we were free for the rest of the two weeks to go to movies, go bowling or spend all day at the base pool playing water football. As David Parker said in his post about Danny being in control in ROTC, I'm here to tell you that his control carried over into the real US Army. I think that I can speak for Myself, Franklin Hodge, Kenneth Shipp, Jerry Botsford, and Joel Anderson in saying, thanks to Danny for making times that could have been trying into some of the most fun times in our lives. What a guy, he will be missed. Robert Richey Central High class of 59



________________
Contacts:


        



 Mac Funderburk's birthday!


    Submitted by Sharon Tunnell

One more thought ...

Bob Rose - June 25th, 2011 
Dan Anderson was one of the funniest people that I ever met. He crossed my path in 1969 doing Industrial Insulation where I worked. We became instant friends. I later found out that he literally ran into my older brother at his cousin Joel's house-and they exchanged knots to their forehead as they tried to both run in and out of a garage at a high school party. He sponsored many sports teams over the years and I had the priviege to compete against him and his cronies. Once in a Basketball game we were up 30 plus points at the half with a superstar college kid named Herkley who later played Pro ball in Europe. Dan being the ultimate coach sent in one of his bullies to start a fight and the ref through them both out. Needless to say they beat us by one point. Later I learned that it was better to play with him than against him. He quit coming to our games when some of our players got us thrown out of Y league, Salvation Army, and the Jewish Community Center for fighting.He loved his City High School class of '59, and I from Rossville class of 60 would quiz him about all of the things that they would do at his beloved reunions so that we could emulate his master planning for our class reunions. If I had known him earlier , I would have joined the Reserve Unit that conquered many summer time war efforts. He recounted names to me like-Bawanna McDowell, Franklin Hodge, Robert Richey, & Byron Strickland . Danny having had military at City took the lead role of a Sargent Bilko character and would rule the base with an iron hand. Large convoys were nothing for this master planner. Generals would call him for advice. As mentioned in the Obituary , he loved the Vols, the lady Vols, UTC womens basketball and kept up intently with all aspects of those sports. He played in many underhanded Rook Championships through the East Lake Center and at the State level; with some of his friends using codes and colors to beguile their opponents. He knew more about movies than anyone I have ever met. He could quote entire passages from all of the classics. He never met a stranger and was always quick witted with comebacks for any situation. He had a disdain for short people. He mentioned names to me over the years that finally came to light as I attended his funeral and had the opportunity to meet some of them; People like Mickey Barker, Mickey Cobble, Skipper Cox, Dave Parker, Darrel McDonald, Ken Ship, Barney Giles, Don and George Adair, Joel Anderson, Earl Morgan, Ron, Tom , and Johnny Turner, Lawrence Hogue, and on and on and on. He had funny stories about each one and most of those stories were retold on Friday morning during visitation, the funeral service, and at the gravesite. He introduced me to the Cadillac Cowboys-an early Statler brothers record. He broadened our love of music with occasional opera tickets. He sang in our chuch choir for a few years and his voice is still remembered. We shared many meals together as families and one that is still remembered was at his home featuring pintos, cornbread, collard greens, sliced tomatoes, etc. All furnished by his amazing mother -Lola Anderson. What a cook. His children were like my children and we all are in one accord in that we will miss our Danny Boy. A great father, husband, and friend. Warmest Regards-Bob Rose




This email was sent by fuller012@comcast.com |  

No comments:

Post a Comment