Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Louella Cherry Spencer: 70th Birthday Bash Recap

For those of the Chattanooga High School class of 1959 who could not attend the 70th birthday bash, I think someone should report; so, I volunteer to give it a try.  It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood on June 3, 4, and 5, 2011.  The sun was shinning and the rain clouds hid.  There were neighbors who used to live in all corners of the city who came from varying distances to meet together to celebrate our turning 70 years of age.  Once again, we were all neighbors.

On Friday night, Bill Cross provided a suite at The Chattanoogan Hotel, which is a very nice place to hang out.  David Pearce/Arthur Wilbanks provided free wine and there was water and munchies.  After the room filled, and it really filled, it became quite warm.  Part of the heat was due to an air conditioner that was being pushed to its limit and not quite doing the job and part of the warmth was from the hearts assembled (but this part was good).  Many of us recalled our days of old and enjoyed camaraderie.

Saturday we made our way to the Martin-Davis house in Chickamauga, GA.  Those of us from Indiana (Margaret Llewellyn Crosby, Bob Crosby, Bill Spencer & I) took in the beauty of the hills we passed as we are now living where the countryside is flat.  Tennessee is such a beautiful state.  How wonderful to have more than one activity for those of us who had come from a far.  Also, some classmates were available for only one time slot on Saturday morning, or only Saturday night, or only Sunday morning.  Anyway, the home was an antique lover's delight.  When I walked out on the front porch, it was just like walking out on my grandmother's front porch in middle Tennessee and it was a real treat for me.  After strolling through the sights, there was a nice lunch.  Thanks, Anne Johnson for thinking of this event.

Saturday night was the main event.  If I had thought 52 years ago that I would be hanging out with my friends on 9th Street, now known as Martin Luther King Blvd., I would have thought I was losing my senses.  However, Susie Turner Crouch selected the perfect place in the Bessie Smith House; and, Susie really knows how to plan a party.  The place was perfect for our party.  It was cool, the dance floor was large, there was a long bar from which to select our tea or water or liquid spirits, and there was lots of room for us to mill about and visit.  First we did have a nice long time to reconnect, then there was a good meal (I loved the squash dish the best), then there was dancing which I will tell you about in a minute, and then there was the cutting of the beautiful birthday cake on top of which there was a big bow, a mirror ball, and a salute to 70 years.  Sharon Barker Tunnell, who has sent much birthday information to our computer whiz, Dru Smith Fuller, was given the honor of cutting our cake.  There were little cupcakes of varying flavors.  The cake I had was delicious.

Now I want to tell you a little about the dancing.  There was a stage with a good DJ who played 50's music.  Well, Hope Holcombe and her husband Bill started the dancing along with Anne Johnson.  Anne danced part of the time with one partner, part with several partners, and part by herself.  It didn't matter.  As for me, I danced a number of the slow dances but part of the time I joined a line of people in chairs who were dancing the fast dances while seated; that way we protected our knees.  We called it the 70-year-old way of fast dancing.  However, there were some who still had the beat and the energy.  Lee Reynolds, sorry he is still Delmar to me, was best male actor for our class; well, he is still quite the showman on the dance floor.  He was so fun to watch and he had good partners (Susie Turner Crouch and Ken Peterson's wife, Nancy, were two great ones).  Ken still had the beat but didn't dance as much as Delmar.  I think I would give Skipper Cox a "10" for his smooth dancing.  Kent Smith's wife, Eleanor, would get a "10" for her electric slide dancing but she had some stiff competition.  Susie's daughter was also fun to watch.  Wanda Sullivan Lamb and her husband, Ted, were good participants.  Well, as for me, I did not get invited to the Senior Prom.  As I was dancing the last dance last night, I thought to myself that this was my Senior Prom and I was blessed to be dancing with the love of my life to whom I have been married for 47 years, Bill Spencer.  On this night I felt very blessed.

By the way, Bill Dickert's wife sat against the far wall and knitted.  I went over to talk with her and she was knitting a prayer cloth or blanket, one of about 70 she has made to give mostly to cancer patients.  I enjoyed my visit with her.  We have so many wonderful people in our class.  We are blessed to have classmates who care enough to plan these events for us and many who work to carry out the plans.  It was good to see Judy Laubscher McClurg and Ervin/Tom Funderburk as I had not seen either of them in 52 years.  I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with Judy Schild Steinmann and James who came all the way from CA and Pat Donica Crawford from MO and Trudy Walker Moore from AL.  Many thanks to all who participated by planning and/or attending this bash.  Also thanks to those who sent wishes for the attendees; we missed those who could not attend. 

It was a blast.  I heard several comments that it was more fun than the 50th reunion and the reason was probably because we were more at ease since we had been together only two years earlier and already had shown that we looked older. 

For one night in June of 2011 down on former 9th Street, it was a majestic time for all us old timers who gathered.  In our minds we were once again 19 years old – at least I was.  And I attended this Senior Prom!!!

Peace to all.

Louella

PS  Must get ready to go to the brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment