Monday, May 11, 2009

Fw: CHS

From: Martin Halper
To: fuller012@comcast.net
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 1:56 PM
Subject: CHS


Hi Dru,

The 50th class reunion looks like it's going to be a BLAST!! Hats off to all those who have put so much energy into making it such a memorable event. I have a conflicting family event that precludes me from attending but I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience of peeking into the lives of so many of our classmates. I am totally blown away with the breath of accomplishment and joy expressed by those who have shared their stories.

Because I was not attending I felt it not appropriate to chime in. I did however attend the CHS 40th reunion (in which I was voted the most changed person) so therefore, I am going to ignore my initial reaction to sharing.

After graduation from CHS I attended UT in Knoxville. I lasted exactly one quarter before being required to leave due to poor performance. No surprise based upon my academic prowess at CHS. I wanted to get out into the world and make my way; and so I did.

I moved to New York City in 1960 and began working in the Sample Department of Cohn Hall Marx a division of United Merchants and Manufacturers (a mega textile conglomerate that also owned Robert Hall). It was a progressive company for its time, offering a management training program at Philadelphia Textile Institute to a small number of young employees, all of whom, with the exception of myself where college graduates. I knew that if I were going to succeed in the business world without a college education, I had better make the most of this opportunity. Shortly after graduation from PTI (I graduated third in my class) I was asked to join two men as their first employee in a start up commercial contract fabric business. Five years later I became a partner and twenty nine years later we sold Design Tex Fabrics; the largest contact fabric company in the United States, to Steelcase Furniture Company.

After selling Design Tex, I spent the next two years as executive vice president with the Trammell Crow Company in the development of the Boston Design Center; a 700,000 sq. foot facility housing showrooms that offer furnishings and materials to the architectural and design industry. From 1992-1994 I was President of Kittinger and Helikon Funiture Companies before attempting to join the dreaded ranks of retirement. I adapted so well it is hard for me to imagine how I ever worked for a living.

In 1982, I married Anne Boynton; a South Knoxville girl who graduated from UT with a Masters Degree in Textile Design. Our Honeymoon was spent designing and opening Boston's first New American Cuisine restaurant in Copley Square. If you have nothing to do and want to spend seven days a week, eighteen hours a day, the restaurant business is the perfect choice. We have two wonderful children from my first marriage and we are blessed with three grandchildren. Unlike during my working career, retirement has given me the opportunity of being actively involved in their day to day life. We have been living on and loving Cape Cod since 1992.

To all my fellow CHS classmates I wish you health, happiness and one hell of a great 50th reunion!!

Warmest Regards,

Martin

PS: Photos: Me and my South Knoxville Girl, The Halper Clan, Me racing at New Hampshire International Raceway.

No comments:

Post a Comment