Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Robert Currey checks in

Well Dru I have really enjoyed reading all the epistles from our classmates and am looking forward to visiting with folks Saturday.

I wish that I knew how to send pictures but unfortunately my wife is in Atlanta and I am at our place in Sparta, Ga. So unless she turns up soon my written notes will have to do.


I have read all this stuff with interest and some head scratching as my memories are somewhat different from most of the chronicles. I did not think that my last year in High School was much fun! Though outside school I had plenty of extra curricular activities,much of which were pretty funny. But I dont even remember Dances, trips to the lake with classmates ( my crowd did go to the lake occasionaly but mostly for drinking beer ), Drama ( only at the Dairy Queen, and that was mostly fighting ), Pom Pom's well the nearest I got to Cheerleaders must of been in the hallways, Ms. Pryor, well I remember being sure I didnt want in her class and I suspect she didnt want me there either, Honors programs were not on my list of accomplishments. Anyway I did make a few friends that year but somehow got lost and rarely visited with anyone who went to Chattanooga High School. So when I get there honest to God I was there and did graduate in the Spring of 1959. My memories of sporting events also does not parallel many views. I did go to the stadium because it was a good place to smoke and there was an occasional fisticuffs event. I do remember some curly haired Coach who didnt like my attitude in PE. I think his name was VanSant? Well I didnt like PE much myself. I did have a very personal relationship with Col. Bates and we visited several times over the year, not always pleasantly. Ms. Schultz was another person in that office who took a dim view of my antics.


So I graduated from City with absolutely no concern about going to college, a poor academic record would be an understatement and fairly aimless in looking forward to the future. I did go into the Army that fall and that was really an interesting experience which lasted a good deal longer than was practical. I did come to understand that somebody must have been trying to tell me something in my High School career but there was not doubt that I wasnt listening. I did arrive at the conclusion that I had made a drastic error by joining the Army and that I needed to get the hell out asap. But what to do? So I took the college boards and they suggested that maybe I didnt answer all the questions... I did, just didnt know the answers. So trying to get into college was a trial. Finally someone suggested that I needed to go back to High School and do a little remedial work. So at 21 there I was back in High School trying to prepare for college. Actually it worked out ok and I graduated from college in 1966 at 26. Some record! And I really liked school for the first time and further found that I really enjoyed much of the academic challenges.


I went to work for Thomasville Furniture Ind. in NC and lasted one year before being fired. Came back to Atlanta and went to work for an Importing company where I managed to keep my job for nearly three years. I traveled for them opening stores so wasnt in the office to aggravate people but then got promoted and that finished me. The office and I were not made for each other. I left before they fired me and opened a retail furniture business in Atlanta and before I left that business we had twenty eight stores. I sold my interest in that business messed around for a while doing consulting and finally couldnt stand that trade so started another business. That business ultimately became Currey & Co. Inc. http://www.currreyco.com/ is our website and will tell you a little about what we are doing. I have tried to retire several times and am doing a fairly good job on the last try.


I married this nice woman who has enormous patience and we have been married 43 years. We have two children 33 and 35, both married and have one grandchild who was born last year on March the 14, which is also my birthday. My children are both nice to me and I enjoy one of my two in laws.


Suzy and I bought an 1843 Greek Revival house in Sparta, Ga. in 2002 and have been working on the restoration of the house and grounds since. We have a huge garden, I just bought a greenhouse 30 X 96 feet and am planning to be a grower of organic locally grown produce. We do have a customer through our Cooperative here, The Ritz Carlton at Reynolds Plantation. I wanted to send you a picture of me in my business clothes, that would be a tee shirt and overalls. Maybe a long sleeved shirt with the top button buttoned.


Anyway a long winded narrative about whats up with me. I am looking forward to coming to the reunion though Suzy says she has heard all this stuff before and isnt going to listen to it again. I loved the warning about old girlfriends and the pitfalls.. I am hoping fall since I will be by myself. If only I had had a girlfriend. Ah, what to do?


That it from Sparta Georgia. Robert Currey

No comments:

Post a Comment