Saturday, May 9, 2009

Jim Schaeffer Checks In

I, Louella Cherry Spencer, read the note from Jim Schaeffer about looking for Sparky Brown and listened to the story told about Sparky.  So, I sent Jim a note and told him to call Sparky and tell him I would like to see the vest the story told about.  I also told Jim that when I located Sparky, I left a message about the reunion and got a laugh from Sparky's answering machine which said something like, "I'm taking a bath right now, so just leave a message."
 
Some of Jim's reply:
Sparky is a one of a kind.  He is friendly with anyone he meets.  Probably why he was the first friend I made at CHS.  I talked with Sparky.  He said he would come to the lunch on the riverboat Saturday.  I will call him this weekend and let him know he could go to the Friday night BBQ without doing Saturday night.  Thank you and the others who got me in touch with Sparky.

 I am excited about seeing my old friends from CHS.  When I went to the 30th reunion, I knew that most of those attending would be folks I did not know.  The lake outing was, except for one person, people that I did not know.  However, Kent introduce himself to me and commented about the news account they had posted about Mike McAfee winning the handball city championship and Gus Wood being appointed Tennessee Commissioner of (?).  I told Kent that Gus was my cousin, but I had not had any contact with him since I left Chattanooga.  Mike and I were close friends and I knew all about his handball.  In fact when he returned from his tour in the army, he mention to me that we should take up handball.  I ask Mike if he played handball and he said no but wanted to learn.  I had learned to play at UT, so I said I can teach you.  After explaining the rules to Mike, he won three straight games.  I hardly scored a point a game.  I gave it up.  Mike and I later worked together at Delta Air Lines.  At that time he played handball infrequently.  When I graduated with a Computer Science degree, I moved to Atlanta.  From there I landed a job with IBM and they sent me to Minnesota.  By December it was impossible to continue my jogging, and a bunch of my coworkers and I took up handball.  I played four days every week and finally I could beat all of our group.  I was hot to go play Mike!  I visited Chattanooga and called Mike and asked what his plans were for the day.  He said he was going to the Y to play handball.  So I said I will come down and play you.  I bet him a six pack but ask him to spot me 10 points a game.  Mike kicked my ass!  He did say as I was leaving, "You been playing alot of handball. haven't you?"

Kent got a kick out of this story.  He rounded up a group of reunioners and had me repeat my story to all of them.  I left that outing with a lot of new friends.  Thanks to Kent!

I am also looking to meet new friends at our 50th reunion.  Also, I am eager to see the old friends I have not seen for such a long time.  Just the bios have been great.  All of you that have worked to get this reunion together have brought many fond memories to their classmates.  Thank you so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment