Sunday, April 26, 2009

Coming from Sudbury, MA

via Louella Cherry Spencer:


Richard Morris and his wife, Margriet
Coming from Sudbury, MA

Richard Morris wrote the following:

Here’s a recent photo of my wife Margriet and me.

We met while I was living in Jakarta, Indonesia to perform the economic evaluation of a port expansion project. After two years in Jakarta, I relocated to El Salvador for a 15-month Central American regional transportation planning project, during which Margriet made two trips from Jakarta to San Salvador before we were married in Chattanooga in 1976. After the project was completed we spent a few months in Los Altos and Mountain View, CA and then moved to Costa Rica for four years, where our two sons were born. After that it was back to California and then a year in Saudi Arabia before finally settling down in Sudbury, MA, west of Boston, where we have lived happily for the past 23 years.

My assignment in Indonesia began at Stanford, where I went for graduate school after four years at UT Knoxville. A summer small business development project in Iquitos, Peru led to a four-year working diversion in Chile and then three more years back at Stanford—my “boat bum years”—trying to balance dissertation writing with ocean racing and rugby, which I began in Chile. I finally finished the dissertation when my advisor’s consulting firm, where I worked part-time, was selected for the project in Jakarta and sent me as the resident consultant.

When we settled in the Boston area in 1986, I was working at the international consulting firm Arthur D. Little. That lasted until 2000 when the firm began its sad descent into bankruptcy and I was able to take over an aviation consulting firm that it had acquired a few years earlier. I’m still running that firm and intend to continue for at least a couple more years. I play every summer in a senior softball league and currently head the church growth commission at our church. Our older son is getting married in October, and the younger one is in the Columbia MBA program in New York.

We're looking forward to a great time at the reunion and appreciate very much the efforts of the reunion committee to put it all together.

Richard Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment