Sunday, April 12, 2009

Marsha Moore Cunningham


Jack and me celebrating out last anniversary aboard the Odyssey in Chicago



Our last picture taken for our church directory clowning around with the photographer



Our daughter, Julia, last October tying the knot


The pictures show Jack and me celebrating out last anniversary aboard the Odyssey in Chicago, another is our last picture taken for our church directory clowning around with the photographer. The last is of our daughter, Julia, last October tying the knot … doing it her way – no fuss, no muss!! Our gal is independent, citified and doing well in advertising. Travel still remains her passion.

Since I will not be joining the festivities, I feel that sharing background is perhaps in order. (Brevity is not exactly my long suit so I apologize to those of you who think that the following is perhaps a tome!!!) I have so enjoyed the bios on the blog. Do hope they continue.

After graduating, I attended U.C. (where my 96 year old mother graduated) along with many of you. However, we all went our separate ways and the cohesiveness we shared was never to exist again. Upon completion of my bachelors degree, finishing with my two aunts who were receiving their masters, I discovered rather quickly I had no employable skill! Oh, me, oh, my, --- so off to grad school at Tulane in New Orleans I went.

During my sojourn in this remarkable environment, I can’t say my academic success was uppermost in my mind. I found myself exploring other horizons which contributed to “life’s” education. Forming new friendships with such a diverse student society as well as experiencing New Orleans’ unique culture was indeed enriching. My many adventures, including hurricanes (certainly not coming close to the magnitude of Katrina) during my tenure are never to be forgotten, but I shan’t bore you with the details. Moving on, I arrived in Atlanta and found myself residing in the oldest apartment complex located on the Bobby Jones golf course. I mention this since many of you seem to inhabit this fair city. I’m certain you are familiar with “dear old Colonial Homes” which in my time held the distinction as “the in place” for the single set. And, yes, I did land a challenging supervisory position with Fulton County.

After many roommates (around 18 plus), I finally decided to make John (Jack) Cunningham my permanent one. He hailed from New York and we met on a blind date. We were married in the Patton Chapel at U.C. where so many of my family’s nuptials had occurred. I had truly enjoyed the single life and all that entails, but was now ready to settle for connubial bliss --- about time after being a bride’s maid --- never a bride --- more than a dozen times.

Married life took to Chicago briefly where out little girl, Julia, was born. From there, we migrated east to Wayne, PA on the western main line of Philadelphia. We bought our first home and settled in for five years.

During this time, I discovered the pleasures of domestic life, that of being not only a wife, but a mother and homemaker, or, as I prefer, “domestic goddess.” Cooking, gardening and entertaining were all very exciting and fulfilling. I cannot leave this passage of our lives without mentioning the acquiring of our adorable puppy, Freckles, who became our “second child” for the next sixteen years.

Then back to Chicago to the village of Hinsdale where at last we put down roots for some twenty years. This was a period of new discoveries such as volunteer work such as continuing my culinary skills and especially gardening with gusto.

By this time, I had enthusiastically embraced the Episcopal faith and was involved in numerous church activities as well as volunteering in Julia’s school and becoming a chauffeur for her many activities, primarily her first love, horses. Jack, Julia and I are truly animal lovers. After Freckles, we inherited a darling kitten, Dusty, who became our baby for the following 12 years. Julia was off to boarding school for her senior high years. I became ensconced in volunteering with Episcopal Showcase houses, working with interior designers, giving tours, etc. Generally, they were mega undertakings. Many were pictured in numerous publications. My efforts turned out to be one of my more gratifying endeavors.

Moving onward, Jack decided it was time to cease investing in our 85-year-old abode so off to Burr Ridge, IL (ten minutes away). We went 10 years ago were we find ourselves at the present.

We decided to gut our dwelling while living in a hotel for six months. We soon discovered the numerous unexpected fiascoes of rehabbing! Glory me!! Hopefully, our next venture will find us in a log cabin in the woods but with all the modern conveniences!!! Marsha’s Little Dream.

Life certainly is not without it’s challenges and disappointments along the way and mine has been no different. Dealing with sorrow is never easy either, but somehow we hope we survive with a deeper spirit of compassion and caring and an appreciation of life’s blessings.

(See, you got way more than if I had joined you. So guys --- have a phenomenal experience at the 50th. The years at CHS are among my most treasured memories. Although a short respite in the continuum of life’s journey, its impact far transcends its brevity.

All my best,
Marsha









Marsha Moore Cunningham's letter

No comments:

Post a Comment