Tuesday, April 28, 2009

John Hayes Checks In

John Hayes sent the following message to Louella Cherry Spencer:
 
Hi Louella,
 
Thanks for "bugging" me again, as I am not big on pictures, as I am usually the one behind the camera taking the pictures. However, I did find the attached picture of my daughter Felicia and myself on a cruise a little over a year ago.
 
As you may know, I live in Atlanta. After graduation from CHS I attended and graduated from Ga Tech, where I served as student body president my senior year, and this enabled me to meet some prestigious bankers in the Atlanta area. Also, I was sent to Russia by the  US State  Department, and this too enabled me to become involved in the financial world.
 
I went to work for First National Bank of Atlanta as administrative assistant to the Chairman of the Board upon graduation. That I believed was the start of a very promising banking career, but because of Viet Nam the draft board had other ideas. I was sent to officers candidate school in Newport, R. I. where, after becoming the regimental commander (thanks to my ROTC training at CHS) of the school, I became an aid for foreign admirals and captains at the Naval War College in Newport, R. I. for about six months, and then served two tours of duty in Viet Nam, as a gunnery officer and then as a navigator.
 
While in the Navy I married Cheryl Sammons from Atlanta, having met her while at Ga Tech, and we spent our "first" honeymoon driving from Atlanta to San Diego, where my ship was stationed. Upon my honorable discharge from the US Navy I took a job in California as a stock broker, and decided to specialize in options, which at that time were relatively unknown by most investors, both individual and institutional.
 
Some how, with a lot of hard work, and some luck, in 1973 I was featured in a full page article in Business Week magazine about my expertise in options. As this is an international publication, and interest was beginning to build in options because the Chicago Board Options Exchange had just come into operation, I was fortunate to get clients from around the world. Thus began my career in international finance.
 
My daughter, Felicia, was born in California, but in 1976 we moved back to Atlanta, as I missed the South East. I set up my own financial service business and have never worked for any one since. Two years later my son John  was born. We have been happily married now for 41 years.
 
I am certainly looking forward to seeing our class mates that will be attending, many of whom  I have not seen since our graduation 50 years ago.
Best regards,
 
John Hayes 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment